Best FREE Parental Control Apps for Android
Smartphones and tablets have opened up new worlds of connection and fun for many people. But not all of these new digital spaces are a great place for children. Parents need to help their kids enter carefully and safely into these new experiences. Some common concerns for parents include cyberbullying, obscene or offensive content, and even hateful messages. Because younger kids and teens are naturally curious and may not always know when an online situation is unsafe, parents must take the lead in this new era of technology to protect their kids and teach them how to be responsible. And parental control apps are here to help.
WHAT ARE PARENTAL CONTROLS
Even if you've talked to your kids about screen time limits and responsible online behavior it's still really tough to manage what they do when you're not there (and even when you are). Parental controls allow you to monitor and block websites and apps to keep your kids' Internet experiences safe, fun and productive. One of the best ways to keep track of your kids’ online life is through mobile apps.
WHAT APPS CAN DO
Parental control apps allow parents to filter adult content, restrict app purchases, set limits on usage time, and even monitor calls, texts, and web activity. Some full-featured apps let you block websites, impose screen time limits, and monitor online activity. Many of these programs also offer added security against malware and viruses and will send you a summary of what your kid does online. Depending on your kid’s age and your specific concerns, there are many options to choose from. Here are a few of our favorites:
BEST APPS FOR YOUNG KIDS
- Custom home screen displays only apps that parents have authorized
- Can prevent kids from buying or downloading new apps
- Timer feature can lock apps after specified amount of time
- Blocks incoming calls when Kids Place is running
- Toddler Lock restarts apps that are accidentally stopped by small children
- Custom wallpaper can customize your child’s experience
Net Nanny was designed to give your child the freedom to access the web without the fear of inappropriate content. The app is a custom mobile browser that becomes your child’s default browser. Manage which apps your child can or cannot use on their mobile device. From the web-based console, you can manage your child’s settings and devices, as well as other tasks like viewing activity reports or adding users. You can also receive email notifications whenever a site is blocked, a block is overridden, or unwanted other events occur.
- Show which apps are installed on the protected mobile device
- Block unwanted apps and see when new apps are installed
- Offers age-appropriate filtering (child, pre-teen, teen)
- Filtering categories allow you to Block, Warn or Allow access to specific content
- Set time controls for when you kids can browse the web
- Reward feature lets kids earn extra screen time for completing tasks and chores
- Get reports of what your child is looking at and when
- Block certain apps completely
- Get an alert whenever your kids install a new app
- No limits to the number of children or the number of devices you can manage
- Optional airplane mode ensures no cell radiation while your toddler is using
- Child simply moves their finger across the touchscreen to produce random shapes and different colors
- Each time they touch the screen, they are treated to some delightful tinkling sounds that vary in pitch
- Reinforce your toddler’s learning of shapes and colors
BEST APPS FOR TEENS
- Monitor text messages, calls, and web activities, including deleted SMS history
- View phone usage reports to monitor what your child views and sends.
- Restrict websites based on your child’s age - block pre-set categories or restrict manually
- Parental Control app has Incognito mode
- Monitor where your child is with simple SMS commands
- MMGuardian Uninstall Protection function prevents kids from removing or tampering with the app
- Log the history of all calls, SMS/MMS messages, website visits and applications
- Track the location history of your kid's device in real time
- Synchronize contacts information from the device to the server
- Block protected apps and set time limits and daily time allowance for selected apps
- All device settings and history data are available online, 24/7
- Works with all major web browsers - optimized for mobile
- Track your child’s search activities through the Norton browser in the Norton Family Portal
- Keep track of sites they visit and what they search for
- Set up rules to block access to specific types of content
- Get notified if the kids try to break a rule, so you can have a conversation about appropriate online activity and how to stay safe.
- Pinpoint the location of your kids and their devices on a map
- Grant or block access to all apps, browsers, games and more from the Norton Family portal when you need to enforce a break
- Set time limit for your teen's screen time
- Activate a timer to set limits on phone usage
- Block unsuitable apps with TeenSafe’s app blocker
- Track all Facebook activity and get alerts for suspicious friends & posts
- Pinpoint the location of your kids and their devices on a map
- All contacts stored on the phone are uploaded to your account and then matched with phone numbers of text messages and calls
- Apps & Games
GROWING UP DIGITALThese days, the problem for parents is understanding how to protect their children while still offering them all of the benefits that the digital age has to offer. As your child ages, digital supervision of your child should be dynamic. That is, the rules that you enforced when your child was 6 should not be the same when they are 14. Supervising your child in this new era means having ongoing conversations about issues and potential threats – and incorporating smart parental control technology that’s age-appropriate for your child. By taking proactive steps to approach technology, you can make digital use into a running conversation – and enjoy the benefits of technology as a family. To shop the latest Android phones for kids and teens click the button below.
[button content="Shop now" color="blue" text="white" url="https://republicwireless.com/shop/phones/" openin="_blank"]Note: We do not offer technical support for third party apps.