What’s Great About Google’s Latest OS
1. Save Power When You’re on the GoDoze Mode, first introduced with the Marshmallow OS, was designed to save battery life. When your screen was off and your phone wasn’t moving, your phone would burn less battery. However, for Doze to kick in, your phone had to be physically still. It would not activate, for example, if you were walking down the street with your phone bouncing along in your pocket or purse. Now, with Nougat, Doze automatically starts up as soon as your screen goes off – and continues to work even if your phone is moving.
2. Take Action Right AwayMore personalized settings and smarter notifications help you stay in the moment and get things done. Customized Quick Settings Move around your Quick Settings tiles so you can get to the things you want – faster. To access, just swipe down from the top of your screen.
Direct Reply for NotificationsAs soon as you get a notification, you can reply right away from the notification screen – without needing to open an app.
Bundled NotificationsGet the latest at a glance from all your apps on a single, easy-to-scan page. To get more info without opening the app, just tap to expand.
3. Multitask Like a BossWith Nougat, now you can run two apps side-by-side or switch between apps with a quick double-tap.
Just open one app you want to use on your screen, then press and hold down the square-shaped overview button at the bottom right to choose from other apps to add to the screen. Not all apps support split-screen mode yet, but most do. To use it, just long-press the square soft key. This will make the screen split in half.
Quick Switch Between AppsBy double-tapping the overview button, you can now quickly navigate back to whatever app you were previously using, allowing you to seamlessly flip back and forth between apps. The screen will show a carousel of all your recently used apps. Just tap the one you want and it’ll fill the second half of the screen.
4. Communicate More ClearlyThis new OS allows you to use two or more languages at the same time and offers tons of updated and new emoji with which to express yourself.
Multiple Language SettingsTo turn on more language options, go to settings then languages & input, tap languages and then "add a language". There are dozens of languages available to use (including Welsh).
1500+ Emoji, Plus 72 New Choices
Quite a lot of them are existing emojis, now available with extra skin colors. Google has also redesigned ‘people’ emojis to make them look a tiny bit more realistic. New emojis include things like a salamander, some French bread, a kiwi fruit, a peanut and a pitch-black heart.
5. Personalize Your DeviceAndroid Nougat offers more ways to personalize your device. You can decide how your data is used, the way you’re notified and the look of your display.
When Data Saver is turned on, apps in the background won't be able to access cell data – allowing you to limit how much data your device uses.